Monday, December 16, 2013

December 15, 2013: Day One in Amsterdam

“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars




This morning I said goodbye to the city I called home for 3 months. All good things must come to an end. I arrived in Amsterdam and kicked off my 48 hours in Amsterdam like a typical tourist by indulging at a Burger King in Schiphol Airport. The airport is conveniently situated above the train station and for less than five euros; I’m transported to Centraal Station in the city center of Amsterdam. Pot and prostitution. Yes, Amsterdam's got it. But don’t let the image of girls in windows in the Red Light District and the pungent aromas of marijuana overshadow the beauty of Amsterdam. The people there were very nice.  On two occasions, someone helped carry my absurdly heavy suitcase.



I checked into the hostel I was staying at and set out to explore the city. I walked down what I think was a Christmas Market and bought mini Dutch pancakes covered in nutella. And once I figured out how the tram worked, I went to Dam Square. The numerous lights that lined the streets set a very Christmas-y mood. Having run low on euros, and desperate to conserve my money, I ate a chicken burger out of a FEBO, a fusion between fast food and vending machines. How has the US not caught onto this concept yet? I walked around hopelessly getting lost in all the streets, which names I couldn't even pronounce if I tried.




It was with great fortune that my trip coincided with the Amsterdam Light Festival. I took a canal cruise through the most gorgeous pieces of illuminating 3-D art that I have ever seen. Photos do not do it justice. Especially when you have a cheap camera, which takes worse photos than an iPhone. For my first day in Amsterdam, I would say that it definitely isn't as glamorous as I thought it would be. Nonetheless, it is a great city with its own quirkiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment