Friday, January 3, 2014

December 18, 2013: Day One in Rome

"Rome wasn't built in a day."


This a phrase so great that one could not credit it to an author. A proverb with French origin, this quote could not be any more true once you experience the beauty and history of Rome. I feel like it is important to say that wherever you are, you shouldn’t let negative experiences ruin your time at a new city.  All throughout the day, I was continuously getting lost, going down streets only to realize I was going the opposite direction, and growing increasingly frustrated at the endless accosting by street vendors.  If you ever decide to go to Rome, be prepared to identify and avoid tourist traps.  Never take taxis.  I paid 25 euros for a 48 hours pass on a hop-on hop-off tour bus. Not only was it a mode of transportation to most of Rome’s hotspots, but it also had an audio tour. If people (of the dark-skinned variety) who don’t look like Italians approach you, avoid them like they have the plague. Sometimes I would pretend that I didn’t speak English just to avoid them. They want nothing but to take your money.


Thanks to my bus tour I was able to see the iconic Trevi Fountain and the Roman Forum and do a little Christmas shopping for my family at OVS.  The thing you need to know about Rome is that most of the attraction in Rome are statues, monuments and fountains.  There isn’t much to do in Rome, but there is no shortage of structures to marvel at.  You can definitely see why Rome couldn’t have been built in a day.

I got off the bus at Vatican City and decided to go to St. Peter's Basilica.  At the ticket booth, you get the option of paying 7 euros to take the lift or 5 euros to take the stairs.  Being the thrifty (or as I like to call it, economically savvy) person that I was, I opted for the stairs, which was a big mistake.  Take it from me; do not take the stairs.  The stairs take you up to a circular balcony, which gives you a great view of the inside.  But even if you choose to take the lift, there are about an additional 300 steps to the very top where you get a gorgeous view of the city of Rome.  I think I may have climbed over a total of 1000 steps that day!  But the view was worth it.  I had come at around 4pm so by the time I reached the top, I saw a gorgeous sunset cast over Rome.  It was breathtaking. What a wonderful way to end the day in Rome!



No comments:

Post a Comment