Friday, January 24, 2014

December 21, 2013: Day One in Madrid

         

          Today we took it slow as my best friend was still recovering from jet lag.  We took a nice stroll through Retiro Park, which she suggested.  I was surprised to find that rollerblading was a fun pastime for the people of Madrid.  In the park, we visited the Crystal House (a misnomer seeing that it is actually made of glass, but pretty to look at nonetheless).  There were also two free museums in the park, which were a nice way to kill time.  It was a nice change of pace after my jam-packed days in Amsterdam and Rome.  I wasn’t able to go to Vondelpark in Amsterdam so this was a nice substitute.  Susan was enjoying it, as was I. 



          I was able to convince Susan to visit The Royal Palace in Madrid. I would say that it was definitely the highlight of my day.  We walked through many of the elegantly decorated rooms in the palace and took a look through the armory.  It was a great inside look at the way the Spanish Royals must have lived. I highly recommend visiting the Palace. We ended our day early to get a jumpstart on tomorrow.  


          I wished we could have gone out later but I wanted my best friend to be comfortable her first time away.  When traveling with a friend there is definitely a lot of give and take and two people with different interests. But in the end, I was okay with giving up some freedom and control to have a travelling companion around Spain, especially since my Spanish is severely limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment