Friday, September 12, 2014

My Thoughts on: Big Brother 16 and Frankie Grande

Disclaimer: I know this is so out of character for the type of posts that I have done in the past, but whatever, deal with it. I like a show and I want to talk about it. I know it is odd timing to do a Big Brother post so close to the end instead of periodically during the show or right after the show but I felt that an opinion post was due.

I should probably start at the beginning. Before BB16, I NEVER watched Big Brother. I never even really heard about it until the "Aaryn thing" made the news. I have since gone back and watched BB14 because I thought Ian Terry was adorable. Being an Ariana Grande fan and knowing that her brother was going to be a contestant (I really didn't know who Frankie was before the show), and the fact that there weren't a lot of new shows during the summer, I decided to watch it. Of course I went in thinking Frankie was going to be my favorite. Little did I know, this was about to change.

So the season starts and Donny catches my attention because he sticks out in a group of 20-somethings and I liked Nicole because she was pretty and nerdy.  And I absolutely hated Zach and how he would yell in the DR.  I'm not sure when the shift happened from me liking Frankie to disliking him, but I would estimate that it was around the time of the first double eviction.  It was at that moment when the big alliance of the season began to steamroll through the outsiders.  I began to like Zach, Nicole and Donny a lot more then.  If you are wondering who my favorites are, my views towards the houseguests pretty much fall in line with the Jokers Rankings.

Now to Frankie.

I don't want to make the assumption that CBS has somehow "manipulated" the competition in Frankie's favor. But I will say that there was no accident that he was casted. Casts aren't randomly chosen out of a hat. Every one has something unique to bring to the table. I can't say whether or not the production has rigged this competition for Frankie to win but I will state the facts.

The Team America stunt was unfair to the other houseguests. Had Frankie not been a famous-adjacent contestant (I know he has his own little following but I don't think it was big enough to influence public voting), we may have seen a Derrick-Donny-Zach or Derrick-Donny-Hayden etc. alliance. And let's not forget Joey was the first member of TA. The "normies" had a disadvantage from Day 1.

Now, the BOB competition that Caleb had intended to throw.
After watching BB14 I can say that the comp with the ropes is something that was done (albeit on a smaller yet more difficult scale) by one person. Logically, it would be easier to do with one person and one brain. I can't remember how far in advance the talks were about Caleb throwing it and how far in advance the competitions are planned. Even though I would prefer to believe that production somehow created/reintroduced this to help Frankie, I don't believe it was.

The BBRewind
I am a little torn about this twist. As someone who is not involved with the inner workings of the show, I have a hard time believing that this was something planned from Day 1. I think it was a last minute add-in that was introduced so late into the game that there was a relatively minimal fallout. And I get that it was a rewind, but did they really have to use the same competition that Frankie won. The only people who really benefitted from the twist was Cody and Frankie, if doesn't go home this week.  He would benefit by being eligible to play for next week's HOH and if he were to win that one, be guaranteed top 3. Although at this point, his comp wins have made him public enemy #1.

Final 2 Bonus
Recently, a new Team America development has surfaced. The details aren't 100% clear, but it seems as if the winner is either Derrick or Frankie, they would get an additional 50K which makes Team America that much more of a joke.  I doubt it is used to save Frankie since it doesn't affect Derrick either way. I'm sure Derrick is using it as a tool to calm the flames that the plan is to send Frankie home.

The Dreaded Bad Edit
Every season has one (or so I'm told).  In the only other season I watched, I don't think there was a clear villain. Possibly Frank, but in my opinion his actions were pretty justified (being put on the block except for the times he has HOH and couldn't have been on the block would be pretty frustrating).  Christine definitely got one for her scandalous relationship and cackle.  Frankie is definitely getting the diva edit.  Even Derrick said in his DR "don't make me guilty by association". In a video on RobHasAPodcast with Shane Dawson, Shane suggested that Frankie could possibly get Boos when/if he is evicted. I'm sure Big Brother will do their best to make sure their golden boy feels loved but if America and the populating rankings on Jokers are consistent, Frankie better be prepared for a very rude awakening. He's lower than Christine at this point.

BB Winner and AFP
At this point, it is the lesser of two evils (or five evils). I say Derrick because I like his gameplay.  As for a runner up, I'm sure Derrick would honor his final two deal with Cody. I would except him to be the runner up. For America's Favorite Player, I would cast my votes for Nicole/Donny/Zach.  Nicole is a BB super fan, a country girl with a heart of gold and was very aware of what was going on around her and if she was able to win a competition after the buyback, no doubt she would have made a big move. Donny was an underdog with a sweet heart.  He had the clutch gene. He saved himself when his life was on the line. Not only did he win a BOB comp by himself but he did it while his partner was sabotaging him (rather than just sitting on the sidelines). And Zach, the pot stirrer. We all know why this one was given a key to the house. Zach has made for some great entertainment this summer. His I-don't-care-about-anyone attitude put me off at first, but after the weeks passed I realized that wasn't the true Zach. There was a sweet moment when the house had learned of Frankie's grandfather's death and Zach took it very hard (he has only known Frankie about a month at this point).  It clicked when he told the houseguests during one of the speeches "I hate all of you" when I knew he had taken a page out of the Dr. Will handbook. Yes Donny has TA money and this would be nice for the guy but I would say I got a bigger kick out of watching Zach in the house so Vote Zach for AFP if not to see him 25K richer and blowing it on golf clubs, then to stick it to the Detonators/Bomb Squad (I love that Caleb believes this is still a thing).

I may do another post next week or after the winner is crowned so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment