Sunday, November 23, 2014

Boutique Haul: Boot Toppers, Ceramic Measuring Cups, Knick Knacks and why you should shop at small businesses


It's late November aka Thanksgiving season aka almost Christmas season aka you better start thinking about what you're getting your loved ones for Christmas. Yesterday I went on a little shopping trip (not online) and although I can't post links to the things I bought, I hope I can give you some ideas for Christmas gifts or ways to treat yourself this winter.

Boot Toppers 2/$15 + tax = $16.24

These are the first boot toppers I have ever bought.  The Peddler Show was in town; it is like a Texas trade show of sorts (peddlershow.com).  It was pretty small so there wasn't much there that I liked that was in my price range except for these cuties. I bought dark brown lacy ones and blue buttoned ones because I wanted to get some variety. It also costed $6 to enter the show so I guess the boot toppers were more like $22.24

The next four things I bought at Spice Village. The best way to describe it is a collection of boutiques for the physical manifestation of Pinterest. They have such a variety that can't be put into words (spicewaco.com). I would say it was half clothing/jewelry, one-third home decor and the remainder, random stuff.  Side note: they had boot toppers 2/$25 so even factoring in the entry fee, the trip to The Peddler Show was worth it.

    




Ceramic Measuring Cups $16.00
I thought these were absolutely adorable.  They come in 1/4, 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2 cups. The largest one could even be used as a mug if you wanted.  I bought them as a Christmas gift for my mom.  It's an awesome idea for anyone looking to buy their moms a gift.  They had a similar set for teaspoons but I thought $16 measuring cups were enough.

Sing Scripture Sign $8.99
My favorite section of Spice Village was a corner boutique where they had a lot of Pinterest-y looking signs. I bought this one as a gift for someone. I also took photos of some that caught my eye that I didn't buy.

Tea Owl $8.99
This was in the same section. I bought it for my cousin who loves tea. I thought this thing was too cute not to buy. Even the check out lady liked it.

Biofreeze 4oz $14.99
This was a really random purchase for me. I started working out more and I love this kind of stuff to help with aches and shin splints. It also looked out of place in the store. There was just a small rack of about 40 bottles. They probably thought no one would buy them (they thought wrong).

This haul was a lot different from ones in the past. I didn't go to a mall or a place with an online store where I could post links of everything I bought. Everything I bought came from local, small business owners. And although they are not the most accessible spots and probably not the most aesthetically pleasing layout compared to a large shopping mall, there are benefits to buying from these boutiques. Shopping local helps boost the community and the budding entrepreneur.  In a way you are giving back to your city.  The merchandise is usually more expensive but better quality and more unique.  Do you want an H&M cardigan everyone owns, or one you bought from a small business?  With boutiques, sure some of it is hit or miss but you may find some quirky knick knacks that will end up making the perfect gift for someone you love.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment