Monday, October 27, 2014

Why I Don't Drink

Prude, boring, buzzkill, fun police....
Things that would perfectly describe me last night at a frat party. If there's two things that don't mix, it's me and frat parties. And yet, I found myself at one yesterday coaxed by my best friend (who will remain unnamed) of ten years. The aforementioned night occurred at a different university from m town (not that those type of parties don't happen at my university). So there I was standing in line at the open bar where my friend was getting me a "Swamp Frog" while I was discreetly spilling out the one I was already holding. We then proceeded to do jello shots. Or should I say, she did jello shots, and I quickly scooped it out and dropped it on the ground, swung my head back and then forward showing her the empty cup. At the end of the night, I had successfully fake-drank three cups of alcohol and a pair of jello shots with my best friend who had 5 very real cups of alcohol and was stumbling all the way home.

I know people are going to think I'm crazy for passing up free alcohol and partying away but honestly, I was not enjoying myself because I was not myself. I'm not the kind that just takes a shot and then grinds on the dance floor. That's not me. I'm not the girl that plays beer pong with a group of friends. That's not me. I'm not the girl that gets hit on and then proceeds to make out with any guy that gave her the time of day. That's not me.

So go ahead and call me a prude for following the law. Call me boring because I prefer to spend my nights watching Netflix or studying.  Judge me for not choosing to live my four years in college like you did. College is what you make of it. If you choose to experiment with alcohol and get embarrassingly drunk, you do you. But don't expect me to join you. That's just who I am.

That night was one that I would not want to revisit. That whole night, I was lying to myself. And I can't believe I was peer pressured by my best friend of all people. If you are ever in a position where people are pressuring you to drink, you can always say no. If they don't accept it, they're not your friends.  Be who you want to be.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment